Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Back from a Whirlwind Trip!!


I'm back from an impromptu trip to the colourful city of Singapore, a city that is also a country that is also an island! We got our passports back at the 11th hour and were on a plane a couple of days later, headed south to the fattest part of the Earth (the equator, in case you were wondering:)). Singapore ("The Lion's City") was vibrant, clean, bright and festive. A range of cultures, especially Indian, Chinese, Malay, Arab, blend together and make the city all the more interesting with festivals, temples, mosques, bazaars, music, and FOOD!! I think some of the dishes I dived into on this trip belong on my top ten list - laksa: a Malay dish - noodles served in coconut curry soup, often with seafood added; roti prata: a Singaporean-Indian dish - a type of pancake, often with onions and curry (and sometimes cheese!); and CRAB! We ate chilli crab and black pepper crab by the sea side - the first time I have ever eaten a crab. Just wonderful. We wore ourselves out on this trip, exploring the city from end to end during the day by foot and subway and taxi, trying out the nightlife, and napping here and there. I was worn out by the end and had to come back to my energetic and rowdy eighth-graders, most of whom were stuck doing homework for most of the break. . . so here I am to settle down into teaching for a few months, and then comes Chinese New Year in January! Of course, now that I have my passport in hand, nearby Hong Kong and Macau are open to exploration. . .
So my computer is still sick. Luckily I had (note the past tense here) my apartment computer, until I turned it on a few nights ago only to see the blue screen of death pop up. So now I have my office computer. . . and no pictures to post (except for the one I stole from Jen's flickr site). . . but they will come, I promise. I have a whole mitful! Time for some shui jiao (sleep)!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi.

i was surfing the net and stumble upon this gem of a site. your site is a complex red wine with a delightful aftertaste. i savour every word.

-anonymous

2:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am glad you enjoyed your trip. your friends all look super cool!

-anonymous #2

2:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to "Anonymous":
It's divine isn't it? I'm thinking of nominating myself - uh, I mean whoever the sagacious author was who designed this site - for Pullitzer Prize or something. Clearly she is genius material and we should continue to spur her writing efforts with delectable comments, likening her work to only the finest things in life. I am going to go enjoy a glass of red wine now.
Anonymous #2 - anything on this site looks cool.
:)

1:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm. i could go for some laksa right now!

5:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home