Saturday, September 30, 2006

Yes It Has Been A While. . .

And for that I'm sorry! My laptop is still sick - I have to take it downtown to get better but first I have to figure out how to say "I think the fan is broken and the CPU is overheating, what do you think?" in Chinese. . . so first things first! So no scenic pictures for now. But luckily we have Jen's camera to record only the most seminal of moments of our time in China, including. . .

Cha-CHING!!

Cha-CHING!!

Yes, I am hold thousands and thousands of cents worth of RMB (the Chinese currency) in my hands. That's right - we get paid in cash! Our school was very good about paying us on schedule and for that I'm thankful. Now how to spend it?? Well our National Holiday (7 days off!!!) is starting very soon so we may think of a few ways :) Stay posted mes amis!

Some other highlights this month:

Borrowing a guitar from the school music department (they also let me play the piano whenever I want!) and teaching my kids songs. One particularly rowdy day when I had the class singing and I was banging on the desk with a plastic chalkboard eraser to keep the beat the head teacher walked in scowling, thinking the class was going nuts. Nope, we're just singing, I swear! Except I must NEVER hear the song "This Land is Your Land" again!!

Jen's birthday on the 25th!! We went out to one of our favourite restaurants in our district, which ironically is not Chinese, but Korean. Quality food with quality friends, no better way to spend a birthday!

Finding out that I can actually make chocolate chip cookies in China, as long as I am prepared to pay good money. Was it worth it?? Yes, yes it was.

Attempting to eat a chicken foot that one of the teachers gave me (PRE-PACKAGED chicken feet I might add!!) and then quickly excusing myself so I could run to a remote part of the school and dispose of it. OK that was NOT a highlight! I was trying to act like a local, but there are just some things in China I will never get used to. Oh did I mention I have also tried tripe (stomach lining of some animal) and congealed pigs blood? Note I said "tried" not "liked"! I am edging closer and closer to vegetarianism with every bite I take here.

OK life has been crazy this last little while so I'm going to go plan a holiday! I miss you all and hope you are happy and healthy, as always :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken feet...yummy :S As far as the getting paid in cash...I would put it in a big pile on the floor and then roll around in it like Scrooge McDuck!

Glad to hear you're doing ok (for the most part...I mean, your stomach probably hates you). And I would use that money to import some cheese! Take care Megs

1:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SAVE the money my little sister!!!! Save it, learn all you can learn about their culture, become someone of POWER...and INFLUENCE...THEN, when they are at the most comfortable...STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then make me your number 2 (haha...number 2).

"Thanks SpiderMan"
"Everbody gets one!"

Miss you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
much!!!

Matt (that would be your brother in case you forgot!!!!!!!!!!)

1:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for chocolate chip cookies!! I will have to tell Ruth and Larry that you are still managing to create those wonderful megan delicacies, even in china.

Susan and I had a great night out in cornwall last friday (really, I'm not lying!). Karaoke!!!! I will tell you all about soon via email.

miss you!

your fellow sassay lady,
meagan#2

9:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home