Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Internet Limbo

OK so internet here is dubious at best. I haven't been able to get online to update my blog recently :( but because of two lovely friends I am bumming their internet for a few minutes just so I can upload some pictures (thanks Kirk and Steve!!).
OK, for some reason I can only upload one picture so here is one from our Teachers' Day Retreat to DongGuan, a city about an hour and a half north of Shenzhen (hurray for seeing another city in China!). Teachers' Day is September 10th, and it is a day for students to show their appreciation to their teachers by giving them flowers and cards and chocolate and other presents (one student gave me some flowers with mint breath spray attached to them - am I being sent some sort of sublminal message here?!?). So not a bad way to start off the year! My classes are huge - 50-60 students, some of whose English levels are very low. But I am slowly learning to manage these monstrous classes and growing very fond of these energetic 12-15 year-olds. The hardest part? Finding a balance between being firm and in charge but also making your classroom a comfortable - and FUN - place! They say you should maintain a stern composure for at least the first 2 weeks and then loosen up, but sometimes I just can't help breaking into a huge smile at the things the students say and do. When I was introducing myself to them during the first week, I made sure to show them a picture of my cat (WILLOW), a move that caught the attention of even the rowdiest students and resulted in cries of "awwwww", "cute", "beautiful", and "tiger!" across the classroom. By far the most memorable was the one student in the front row, who with a rather large and maniacal grin on his face, proudly remarked, "I would like to eat your cat." Priceless. And horrifying. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry (everyone reading this knows how precious Willow is to me), but I think after a moment of dumbfoundedness I broke into laughter along with the rest of the class. I am in for a challenging (but hopefully fun) year! Zai jian!
Jen and I with our school principle. It was actually cool enough that I could where my favourite coat :)

4 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

you're very welcome for the internet megan! you and your laptop are welcomed to come to our flat anytime to use our wonderful internet! and i can't tell you how awesome I think it is that your school gave you a retreat, that you got flowers with breath mint, and that a student of yours wants to eat your cat!

9:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan!!

I love the coat! I actually wore mine yesterday morning, it has been chilly here in Cornwall lately and the summer I think is officially done. I will email soon, lots of news to tell. .. .

11:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just let them TRY to eat Willow...he'd obviously kick their Chinese asses with a little Cat-Fu!!!!

I've got internet now so I'll be looking to get a headset and talk to you soon.

Love and miss you,
Matt

9:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMM Tasty Kitty! In Vietnam, Thiet-Meow. I think it means tastes like chicken!

Hugs from Peterborough
Ben

4:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home