Monday, March 26, 2007

Bloggers of the World, Unite!!

OK now, for reasons open to speculation, the Chinese government has blocked all blog sites. Thankfully there is a way to get around this should you use blogspot, so I can still post! It's like I never even moved to a communist country where the government periodically tries to hinder the influx of information by blocking silly sites where people discuss what they had for breakfast in the morning or whine about their favourite TV show being canceled. Yeah, you go, China! I for one stand by my right to tell the world what brand of laundry detergent I switched to or what I think of Britney Spears' new haircut. I joined the growing ranks of bloggers the day I created my blogspot account back in July of '06 and I am committed to telling the world every minute detail of my fascinating life. And, as usual, one of the many knights in shining armour of the cyber-world has found a way to get around this blockade and created a proxy. We will prevail!


OK on a more serious note, things like this are common in many countries, China being one of the most notorious. Some speculate that, with the large congressional meetings taking place in Beijing during March, the government wants to tighten controls on the information flow, but this is just conjecture. And it certainly is not the first time it happened. A few months ago China un-blocked Wikipedia, that free online encyclopaedia we are all wild about, and within a week had re-blocked it. I don't understand it and I just get frustrated attempting to.

In all honesty I still consider myself a reluctant blogger after all this time, using blogspot primarily so my family and friends back home can see pictures and read my little anecdotes. I do get occasional bursts of creativity, but other than those rare flashes of inspiration, they go little beyond pictures and descriptions. And I have yet to post the contents of my breakfast online. One day, perhaps I will get there. . .

OK time to stop burning holes through my eyes with this computer and go watch TV. Although my favourite show's been canceled so I don't know how much fun that will be.

:D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home